Friday, May 10, 2013

Room Sweet Room


Room Sweet Room

     My room is painted blue, with two windows in the far corner. When the blue shades are up, sunlight fills the room, setting the scene for an afternoon nap. When they are down, some light still seeps through the cracks at the edges. My light is in the middle of the room, and it casts a bright glow over the entire room, like a mini sun. My bed is in the corner, pressed up against the wall. It has 3 pillows, some covers, and a stuffed panda sitting on it. At the foot of my bed are towels previously used for swim practice, some wet, some dry. In this pile are backpacks, books, and empty Gatorade bottles. My athletic life is clearly represented in the items in my room. Speedos and gym shorts are strewn all over the floor, mixed with pants and the occasional shirt. Sweatshirts hang in my closet, full during summer, but barren in winter. Hidden away are my Buster Posey jersey, my parka, and my down jacket. On the floor lays a pile of clothes, some of which are smelly. In the final corner is a desk. Long hours and late nights have been spent seated in the office chair in front of it, bent over the smooth, dark wood. There is a whiteboard above it, with very little writing, just posters showing my level of Giants fan.

     The walls of my room are sparsely decorated.  Pictures of friends hang on my bookshelf, and cherished medals lie in cases high above my bed. Plaques line the area above my closet, each representing something special.

 

In-room analysis:

    As I sit on my bed, I notice that I left out many of my stuffed animals. The brown bear, orca, and dolphin were all left out, possibly because my panda has traveled with me most recently. Socks are strewn across the floor. My room is not as clean as I originally thought it was. My bookshelf contains much more than just picture frames. Old cell phones, gift cards, speakers, and pocket tools sit cluttered on the shelves. I left this out because it doesn't have a lot of meaning to me; its only use is a place to empty my pockets. I left out my dresser, with its drawers always wide open. I might have left it out of my original because it is unorganized, and I place less value on clothes than I do on other things. I spent only a couple seconds each morning at my dresser, compared to hours at a desk or in my bed.

     There is a white sheet that covers one wall of my room, next to my bed. It covers a mural or a train, drawn when I was five years old. I left it out because of my desire to hide it, as shown by the sheet covering it up. It was something from my childhood that I wish to leave behind now. 

     This piece is a detailed description of my room, the place that I know best (except for maybe the pool, but that's boring). The assignment was to describe the place from memory with as much detail as possible, then write a second paragraph while sitting in the place. The second paragraph was meant as analysis of what the orignial paragraph leaves out and why it does that. Descriptions include the emotions and senses connected to the room. This piece shows my attention to detail and deeper thinking about what matters to me in my room

No comments:

Post a Comment